Every year 14th June is marked as World Blood donor Day, celebrated around the world to raise awareness about safe blood and blood products and also to thank blood donors for their life-saving blood donations. World Blood Donor Day was established in 2004 and it is one of the eight official global health campaigns of the World Health Organization.
Every year Blood and blood transfusion products help and save millions of lives. It can help patients living longer and with a higher quality of life with life-threatening conditions, and it supports complex medical and surgical procedures. Blood transfusion also plays an essential role in saving a life during maternal and perinatal care. For the survival access of safe blood is universal, for both treatment and emergencies safe blood plays an important role.
Theme of World Blood Donor Day 2020
This year the campaign theme of World Blood Donor Day 2020 is -Safe blood saves lives with the slogan “Give blood and make the world a healthier place”.
World Blood Donor Day 2020 campaign is intended to thank our voluntary, the unpaid blood contributors for their life-saving blood donations and to raise awareness that all people and communities have access to affordable and timely, safe and high-quality blood and blood products, which are an integral component of universal health coverage and a key component of effective health care systems.
The aim is to focus on the impact that an individual giver can make toward improving health in the community for others. Through this initiative, we are calling for more people around the world to become life-savers by pledging to regularly donate blood.
Still, access to safe blood is a kind of privilege for some people. Most countries with the low and middle-income struggle to make safe blood available because of low levels of donation and low blood testing equipment. In high-income countries, which are home to just 16 percent of the world’s population, 42 percent of blood is collected globally.
Blood is also vital for the treatment of wounded people in all kinds of emergencies (natural disasters, accidents, armed conflicts, etc.) and has a vital, life-saving role in maternal and neonatal care.
The goal of this year campaign is
- To honor and reward those who donate blood, and to encourage those who have not donated blood to begin donating.
- Emphasizing the need for commitment and the year-round blood donations which are necessary for ensuring adequate supplies and ensuring universal and timely access to safe blood transfusion.
- To focus on participating donors who play a vital role in health improvement factor to the local society.
- Demonstrate the need for equal access to secure blood transfusion and advocate for its role in successful treatment and the creation of a universal health coverage goal.
- Mobilize support between governments and development partners at the national, regional, and global levels to invest, strengthen, and sustain national blood programs.
Why World Blood Donor Day is Important?
Most of the countries do not have an adequate supply of safe blood, and it is quite challenging to ensure that there is enough and clean blood. The purpose of the World Blood Donor Day is to raise awareness about the value of blood donation and also to thank the many people who are making strides in donating their blood to save others.
Note:- WHO will run a global virtual event this year because of the emerging COVID-19 pandemic. They will share more details in the weeks ahead.