World Kidney Day is one of the global health awareness campaign, aimed to raise awareness about the importance of Kidneys. It is celebrated annually on every 2nd Thursday of March, this year World Kidney Day 2022 will be celebrated on 10th of March. World Kidney Day focuses on the impact of kidney diseases and their associated health problem. It also shows the importance of the frequency of reducing kidneys.
World Kidney is a joint initiative of the International Society of Nephrology (ISN) and International Federation of Kidney Foundation. This day is not only about raising awareness but also to know its preventive behavior, the risk factors and also aware of how to live with kidney disease.
The theme of World Kidney Day 2022
This year the theme of World Kidney Day 2022 is – “Kidney Health for All”
For the first time, the World Kidney Day Joint Steering Committee has designated 2022 as “Kidney Health for All”. In particular, it urges us to work together to fill in the knowledge gaps that exist in renal care. This year’s campaign will focus on efforts to educate the public about kidney health and to reduce any knowledge gaps that remain at all levels of kidney care.
The burden of Kidney disease/ facts about kidney disease
- Kidney disease is a non-communicable disease (NCD) which currently affects about 850 million people around the world.
- 1 out of 10 adults is suffering from chronic kidney disease.
- Due to the burden of the increase of chronic kidney disease, it is projected that it is 5th most common cause of death.
- Most people with low income or living in middle-income countries do not have sufficient access to life-saving dialysis or transplant.
- Approx. 1.7 million people died due to acute kidney injury (AKI).
What is Chronic Kidney Disease?
Chronic kidney disease is increasing loss in kidney function with over a period of months or years. If the kidney does not function properly it can cause kidney failure or untreated kidney failure. It can be life-threatening and to maintain life it requires dialysis or a kidney transplant.
Do you know what are the functions that the kidney performs?
- Make Urine
- It works to remove the waste and extra fluid from your blood
- It helps in controlling your blood pressure.
- Helps to make red blood cells
History of World Kidney Day
World Kidney Day is first observed in 2006. At the start of this day, 66 countries observed world kidney day in 2006 and within two years the number increased to 88.