A 42-year-old man was killed and three other people suffered serious injuries after a violent two-vehicle crash in Scarborough late Thursday night, Toronto police confirmed.
Emergency crews were called to the intersection of Sheppard Avenue East and Vandorf Street at around 10 p.m. following reports of a major collision involving two passenger vehicles.
According to investigators, one vehicle was travelling northbound on Sheppard Avenue East when it suddenly crossed the centre line and crashed head-on into another passenger vehicle coming from the opposite direction.
The 42-year-old man who died was a passenger in the first vehicle. Police said he was pronounced dead at the scene before paramedics could transport him to hospital.
The driver of that same vehicle, identified as a 38-year-old man, was rushed to hospital with life-threatening injuries.
The occupants of the second vehicle — a 32-year-old woman driving and a 49-year-old male passenger — were also transported to hospital with serious injuries.
Police clarify impaired driving arrest confusion
In the immediate aftermath of the crash, Toronto police posted on social media that a 49-year-old man had been arrested for impaired driving.
However, investigators later clarified Friday morning that the individual arrested was not the driver of either vehicle involved in the collision. Police said the investigation is continuing and no criminal charges have been laid against either driver at this stage.
Authorities have not publicly confirmed whether speed, alcohol, drugs or road conditions played a role in the deadly collision.
Toronto police collision reconstruction officers spent several hours examining the crash scene overnight. Investigators typically review witness statements, dashcam footage, nearby surveillance video, skid marks and vehicle damage to determine the sequence of events.
Read More
Road closures and witness appeal after deadly Scarborough crash
The crash forced the closure of parts of Sheppard Avenue East near Vandorf Street overnight and into Friday morning. Police later reopened the northbound lanes, while southbound lanes remained closed for a longer period as investigators continued processing evidence.
Officers are urging anyone who may have witnessed the collision or captured video footage from the area around 10 p.m. Thursday to contact investigators or Crime Stoppers.
Deadly head-on collisions remain among the most dangerous crashes on Ontario roads because of the combined impact speeds involved. Safety experts continue to warn drivers about distraction, impaired driving and crossing centre lines on busy urban roads.
Swikblog recently covered another major Ontario roadway tragedy involving a wrong-way collision on Highway 401 in Pickering. Read the full report here: 38-Year-Old Killed in Wrong-Way Crash on Hwy 401, 2 Police Officers Injured Hours Later.
For verified public safety updates and ongoing investigation details, readers can also follow official releases from the Toronto Police Service.













