A major fire broke out inside the under-construction DoubleTree by Hilton hotel in Auckland’s CBD on Friday afternoon, sending flames, smoke and falling debris from the high-rise building near the Sky Tower.
Fire and Emergency New Zealand said crews were first notified at about 2.20pm after flames were seen coming from a hotel room in the 20-storey building on Albert Street, close to the New Zealand International Convention Centre.
Multiple fire crews responded, with more firefighters called in as the blaze intensified. Footage from the scene showed thick smoke billowing from the tower while flames burned inside one of the upper-level rooms.
Window blown out as debris fell from hotel tower
One dramatic video showed the glass window of the burning hotel room blowing out as firefighters continued battling the blaze. Debris could also be seen falling from the building, creating safety concerns for people and businesses nearby.
Witnesses described a strong burning smell in the area. One person said there was a “bad burning” and chemical-like smell, while another nearby witness said debris was falling from the structure as smoke spread across the CBD.
A nearby Liquor City employee said police told him to shut the shop until the fire was under control. He said flames appeared to be coming from the third floor from the top and described the scene as frightening.
Early footage also showed water from a firefighters’ aerial appliance appearing to fall short of the flames, showing the challenge crews faced while trying to reach the fire high up the unfinished tower.
National MP Tim Costley, who was visiting firefighters when the blaze broke out, filmed crews responding to the emergency and praised their work.
Read More
Hotel was due to open in mid-2026
The building involved is the future DoubleTree by Hilton Auckland. The hotel is still under construction and is expected to open in mid-2026 with 231 rooms.
The fire caused major disruption across central Auckland. Auckland Transport said bus routes 18, 195, 209, 11T, 11W, 105, 106 and WX1 were delayed or diverted through Victoria Street, Nelson Street, Sturdee Street and Quay Street.
One traveller said their WX1 bus was stuck because of the fire. Some electric buses reportedly had to be powered down temporarily to conserve battery while traffic remained blocked around the scene.
FENZ Assistant Commander Dave Woon later confirmed the fire had been extinguished. Firefighters were ventilating the building, and all people were accounted for.
Police and fire investigators are now working to determine how the blaze started. More details from the scene were reported by Stuff New Zealand.
Swikblog has also covered other fire incidents, including the Te Arai Links restaurant fire near Auckland.














